Oklahoma Public Hunting
Oklahoma Public Hunting
Oklahoma Public Hunting
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oklahoma Public Hunting

Forum for www.oklahomapublichunting.com

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.

Go down 
+4
Davey Crocket
sfarns
prikev
weav199
8 posters
AuthorMessage
weav199

weav199

Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. Empty
PostSubject: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2009, 9:35 pm

I'm sending in a ruger M77 7mm mag back to factory with a split barrel. It's cheaper for me to replace it than buy another rifle. Gunsmith told me that bolt/action is used for 4 or 5 different calibers. So, I have a choice of barrels/calibers as a replacement. If I remember right, they are: .270, .300, .30-06, .308, and the original 7mm mag. I may be forgetting one. I would like some input on what you think is the most versatile caliber. Thx guys. James
Back to top Go down
prikev
Admin
prikev

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2009, 10:38 pm

I own a ruger, m77 ruger 270 and a m77 ruger 7mm-08 the 270 is my most favorite deer rifle out of any gun Ive ever hunted with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.oklahomapublichunting.com
sfarns
Admin
sfarns

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2009, 11:18 pm

I love my .270
Back to top Go down
http://oklahomapublichunting.com
Davey Crocket

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2009, 12:33 am

Well it all depends on what and where ya hunt..if you hunt mainly okla deer than go with the .270 if you hunt bigger animals such as elk i would go with the .30-06 or the .308..but thats just me..i have a remington 30-06 i use for okla deer and it does a fine job in the open feilds as well as in the timber..what it boils down to is what your comfortable with as well as the accuracy....I shoot 180 grain out of my 06 but i tone it down grain wise for my girlfriend to shoot...thats a possibility with any caliber tho..But this is just my opinion..
Back to top Go down
weav199

weav199

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2009, 8:14 pm

I didn't ask my question right.(hate that) I want to be able to hunt a wide variety of game with one caliber. I was asking which has the most choices of bullet weights and powder measures. From what I've read, the 30-06 and 7mm mag both have many choices for recipes. I'm trying to get into reloading and learn to make long and short range rounds. Like DC said, tone it down some.
Back to top Go down
Davey Crocket

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2009, 8:48 pm

I would prolly go with the 30-06 then..i think it's easier to get the brass,primers and such. and you can mix and match grain both powder and lead to what suits your need.. I'm just a big fan of the 06 so i guess i am partially bias..lol.. But it's a proven round both on the battle feild and the hunting field.
Back to top Go down
weav199

weav199

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2009, 9:29 pm

Well, the search is over for a while. My buddy dropped his price on his Browning A-bolt 300 wsm. A beautiful shiny, deep finish on the wood-grain. $350 !!! I know, I know, it's a little big for what's around here but....How could I go wrong? I picked it up today...I think I want to have sex with it.
Back to top Go down
jhopkins

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2009, 10:24 pm

I think you made a very good choice. The 300wsm is a very good caliber for short or long rane shooting and if you are going to reload try some 180gr accubonds over RL 17 you will be very happy. Im trying to plan a build right now and will be going with a 7wsm or 300wsm.
Back to top Go down
60ACRES

60ACRES

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2009, 9:59 am

That's great!

But be sure to clean it well after having sex with it, you don't want it to rust. lol!
Back to top Go down
weav199

weav199

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 15th 2009, 7:02 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
weav199

weav199

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeAugust 16th 2009, 1:22 pm

Took the .300 WSM and a few others to the Davis range yesterday(sat). I knew it would kick more than my other rifles, but dayem! This thing kicks harder than my mosin 91/30. I still don't know why I bought it. Prolly cause it's shiny. I like shiny things... hey, what's that................
Back to top Go down
chance_livewire

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeSeptember 5th 2009, 8:56 pm

264 WIN MAG 100 GRAIN BALLISTIC TIPS! CANT GO WRONG MAKES A MESS OF ANYTHING HIT WITH IT. LOVES COYOTE SKULLS, ESPECIALLY.
Back to top Go down
Lost Okie

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitimeMay 26th 2012, 8:05 pm

New to the forum. Too much magnumitst....I like my 35 Whelen. Bullet weights from 110 (357 pistol bullets for plinking) to 250 grain. Can take anything that walks or swims in North America.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.   Most versatile caliber?  Opinions please. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Most versatile caliber? Opinions please.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Oklahoma Public Hunting :: General Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: